At Litem Legal our goal is to provide support to victims in a timely and compassionate manner. If you are a victim of violent crime in Ontario, you may be eligible for financial compensation. Anyone injured as a result of violent crime in Ontario can apply for compensation, including people who were hurt while trying to prevent a crime. These injuries can either be physical or psychological. Violent crimes include:
- attempted murder
- firearm offences
- sexual assault
- domestic assault (abuse by a spouse/partner)
- child physical assault
- child sexual abuse
If a person died as a result of violent crime in Ontario, or while trying to prevent a crime, any family members who were dependent on the deceased person or who paid expenses as a result of the death (e.g. childcare expenses for the children of the deceased or bereavement counselling) can apply for compensation. A person can also apply for compensation if he/she witnessed or came upon the scene of a crime that resulted in a death and meets the criteria for a finding of "mental or nervous shock." You may be eligible if:
- You have been injured as a result of a violent crime committed in Ontario. (e.g. assault, sexual
- assault, criminal harassment, etc.)
- You are caring for a victim of crime and suffered a loss of income or garnered expenses as a
- result of the victim’s injury or death.
- You are the dependant of a deceased victim (in the case of murder).
- You were injured while trying to prevent a crime or while helping a police officer make an arrest.
- Where appropriate, an award compensation for a number of expenses, including:
- Medical, dental and therapy
- Funeral and burial
- Legal services
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of income or support.
We can help you get the compensation you deserve. Call us for a free consultation.